Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Amazing Power of BOGO

I am going to start with the simple assumption that you, like me, enjoy shopping. Shopping is fun. Sales are even better, though they can be dangerous.

As my better half lives five hours away, I've made a deal with myself. Each time I drive to visit her, I can stop at one store in the outlet mall. Said outlet mall is located about four hours from my hometown. By the time I drive those four hours, all I want to do is be out of the car. I allow myself half an hour to find a bargain. Then, I drive that last hour and try to wear my new purchase over the weekend.

Usually I hit up BCBG's Final Cut Outlet, but yesterday, I was on a mission for shoes. I was wearing a knee-length black linen circle skirt with a sleeveless teal shirt featuring silver buckle accents. (Still waiting for my new camera to arrive.) I had started the day wearing black (almost) flats with silver buckles that echoed the design of the shirt.

Shoes: "Ashley" by Bear Traps

Now, I love these shoes. I love the buckle. I love slight built in wedge. I love the square toe that makes even huge feet look small. But no matter what I do, they leave me with blisters on my heels. I've tried heel pads to minimize slippage, but now the heel pads give me blisters instead of the shoes. Pantyhose might work, but not in the hot southern summer.

So, I've been driving for four hours. My shoes are giving me blisters. Clearly, the solution is a new pair of shoes.

I'm not usually a huge fan of Rack Room shoes. While their shoes are cheap, the quality is also usually cheap. However, I was in a bind, so I gave it a shot. 

Success!
Shoes: "Kiren" by XAPPEAL at Rack Room Shoes, $14.99

Not only are these shoes comfortable and blister free, but the silver embroidered accents matched the trim on my shirt. Many XAPPEAL shoes have a plastic insole that feels disgusting as your feet sweat, but these feature a synthetic leather insole that is far more comfortable. They also have a sturdier sole than many other XAPPEAL shoes. Now it is great when you find cute shoes for $14.99, but it's even better when the store is having a "buy one get one 1/2 off" promotion. We all know that is the biggest scam in the book, as it tricks us in to spending more than we would have. But still, I fall for it every time.


Shoes: "Lori" by XAPPEAL at Rack Room Shoes, $14.99 ($7.50 if you consider the BOGO 1/2 off promotion)

I know it is time for me to move beyond the Converses and Converse-copies, but I couldn't resist these plaid sneakers. I find that genuine Converse Allstars have no support or padding. I'm a huge fan of these Rack Room imitations, which are often half the price or less and offer a more comfortable fit. I can add these purple and green plaid ones to my collection.

Queer ladies are surely aware of the "lesbians in flannel plaid" stereotype. Check out Samantha Ronson:

  
 I think these plaid sneakers can provide a nod to my lesbian heritage in a slightly more discrete way.

No comments:

Post a Comment