Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

7/17/10: All About the Sneakers

Green camisole: Ambiance Apparel, clothing swap acquisition
Purple Tank: Tua via Quarter Moon Imports, several years ago
Skirt: Zinc, thrifted
Sneakers: "Lori" by XAPPEAL via Rack Room Shoes, $7.50 (with BOGO 1/2 off promotion) in July 2010

In keeping with yesterday's theme of "faking it until you make it," I decided to dress myself in bright colors. I knew today was going to be a day of chores and retail therapy. I knew I wanted comfortable shoes. It seemed the perfect day to wear my new plaid sneakers. I pulled the rest of the outfit together around the shoes, relying on old favorites. 

The black denim skirt was bought at a thrift store when I was in middle school. While the zipper will unzip itself if not rigged with a safety pin, it's still a favorite. The purple wrap tank was purchased at a local boutique three or four years ago. It always hugs my curves right without clinging in the wrong places. The green polka dotted camisole was acquired at a clothing swap. Put together, it picks up the purple and green of the sneakers.

Now I will admit that I am torn on the skirt and sneaker issue. At one point I would have said it was acceptable only for children. As a high school student, I decided converses and skirts were fun and practical. However, I'm starting to feel like I may be approaching the upper age limit for this look. At some point, maybe I should replace the sneakers with sandals, or pumps, or wedges, or anything that doesn't scream "UNDERGRAD!" On the other hand, I think I will resist as long as possible and at least enjoy casual comfort on the weekends.

So, what do you think? Are there age limits for certain clothing combinations?

No comments:

Post a Comment